The key question that most sellers ask is whether they should renovate before putting their house on the market. Home improvements have always helped when selling a home, but one must be smart about what they choose to do first. A great tip is to make a list of home improvements that you think need to be done to your home. Separate into two categories consisting of major and minor fixes. That those two lists again and organize it into level of priority. Don’t just jump to fix the major renovations because this can sometimes be costly.
It is always a good idea to ask the advice of a realtor as they have had experience and will most likely be able to tell you where your focus areas should be. Be aware that home improvements will also depend on how old the house is and what previous maintenance and care was done before.
HGTV, Home & Garden Television, rated their top 15 home improvements that pay off. The top 10 are listed below.
- Minor Bathroom – painting, tiles, faucets
- Landscaping – gardening, flowers, leaves from the fall/winter time
- Minor Kitchen Remodel – counter tops, appliances if they are staying with the home
- Exterior Improvements – Paint touch ups, power hosing home
- Attic Bedroom Conversions – Adding additional living space is always a plus
- Major Bathroom Remodel – Master bathrooms are almost always for the potential home buyers.
- Major Kitchen Remodel – cabinets, an island, laminate countertops, stainless sink, wall oven, cook top, vinyl flooring and appliances
- Deck, Patio or Porch Addition – plants for attraction and a well put together railing for safety and appeal.
- Basement – Redoing the basement so that it can be an additional living space/entertainment or family room is definitely a plus.
- Replacement Windows – they may or may not need to be done but it will definitely help during the day when you or anyone looks through your windows.
Like with anything, first impressions matter the most. It will matter as you sell your house, and then as you search for a new one.
For more tips and ideas take a look at these photos.